We understand – the thought of coming to counseling can be intimidating.
Trust us when we say there’s nothing to be afraid of! We’re normal people just like you who have a desire to help you live your life to the fullest.
To help ease any discomfort you may have at the thought of counseling with us, we’d like to let you know how to prepare for counseling and what to expect.
First, we should tell you what therapy is…
- Therapy is about helping you reach a goal or goals; it’s about getting you to a place where you feel comfortable and satisfied with the way life is humming on around you and within you.
- Therapy is about working with your therapist to achieve the outcome you’re hoping for. A good therapist is like a coach, teacher, consultant, and referee all wrapped into one. They’ll listen to you and understand you without judging you. They’ll help you see more clearly how you got to where you are and how to get to where you want to go. They’ll give you the confidence to talk about things with others (spouse, family member, friend, co-worker, etc) that you may have been too uncomfortable to bring up on your own.
- Ultimately, therapy equips you to work through any obstacle that lies between where you are now and where you really want to be.
…and what therapy is not
- Therapy isn’t always a quick, painless fix. Sometimes things get worse before they get better. But if you stick with it and do the hard work of walking through this challenging season with your therapist, things will get better!
- Therapy isn’t about your therapist doing the work for you. However good a therapist may be, he/she cannot make you reach your goal(s). They can’t fix your problem(s) for you. You will still have to work at it. What a good therapist will do for you is give you the means and the guidance to help you reach your goal(s), and will walk alongside you until you get there.
Have some questions, or need more info? Click here.
from the Blog
This spouse-as-your-coworker thing not all that you imagined it to be?...
Once upon a time, I was a middle school teacher, back before God decided...
Our Cornerstone counseling team continues to grow to help as many people...